As you might have noticed I’m not a big dessert kind of person. Occasionally though you do need something for the kids for after dinner or when friends come round. I like to spend my time making the “main event” so desserts / cakes etc for me have to be quick and very easy. This is about as easy as it gets. The moistness comes from the ground almonds so these aren’t exactly fat free but way better than using oil / margarine etc.
You can also ring the changes with these by using any type of canned fruit, e.g. pineapple, peaches, pears etc. Must try cherry… 🙂
To turn these in to Pina Colada cakes, substitute a can of crushed pineapple for the fruit salad and desiccated coconut for the almond meal. 🙂
- 1 heaped cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup panella (unrefined brown sugar)
- 2 heaped tsp flax meal
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 14 oz can fruit salad - juice and all!
- Mix all ingredients together, spoon into friend or muffin trays, bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown and risen.
- These are very moist and if you use silicone bakeware you may need to flip them over and bake again on a baking sheet for 5 more minutes.