Smashed Chilli Chickpea & Avocado Salad Wrap
Makes 6 wraps
Recipe type: Sandwich / Wrap / Snack
- Wholewheat wraps / pitta bread etc
- Cos lettuce leaves / baby spinach leaves
- 1.5 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 2 heaped cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2-3 spring onions, finely chopped
- Zest of a lemon
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 2 small celery sticks, diced
- 3 teaspoons of semi-dried chillies (Gourmet Garden brand), or 1 teaspoon chopped chillies in brine
- ¾ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 3 heaped tablespoons oil free hummus
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream (optional - replace with extra hummus)
- Juice of a a lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse to chop roughly. Or smash in a bowl with a potato masher or fork. Tip into a bowl
- Add the spring onions, lemon zest, celery, cucumber, chillIes and mint leaves and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the hummus, cashew cream if using, lemon juice, maple syrup and seasoning.
- Tip the chickpea mixture into the bowl and gently stir through the diced avocado.
- Warm the wraps in a hot pan or sandwich press for a minute until flexible.
- Place some baby spinach or a few cos lettuce leaves on the wrap, heap a few tablespoons of the mixture on top, fold up and then toast briefly to seal the edges. Cut in half and serve.