All the usual Mexican culprits on top a wholewheat pitta creates a pizza-like sensation.
Cuisine: Mexico meets Italy
- Wholewheat pitta breads (we used 8 small: bonus: they all fit in the oven at once!)
- 1 can oil free refried beans (tip Coles own brand)
- ½ cup salsa of choice, we used Old El Paso Mild
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup Red roasted pepper / capsicum strips - from a jar or homemade
- 2 can red kidney beans (or black beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn (not essential to defrost)
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup raw cashews
- Juice of a lime
- Extra salsa of choice
- Chillies etc to taste as required
- Fresh chopped coriander if liked
- Preheat oven to 220 C
- In a medium bowl mix together the refried beans, the ½ cup salsa, and herbs and spices.
- Place your pitta breads on large oven trays (we used pizza trays with the holes) lined with baking paper.
- Divide the bean mixture up evenly between each pitta and smooth out evenly to the edges.
- Top generously and evenly with onion, capsicum, beans and corn.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 or until piping hot and base is crispy.
- Whilst they are baking blend together the cashews and lime juice until thick and creamy.
- Top with dollops of salsa, cashew-lime cream and avocado, chillies, coriander etc and serve!