Quinoa, Kale & Carrot Salad
Recipe type: Salad
- ½ bunch kale
- 2 tsp tahini
- 2 T orange juice
- 175g dry quinoa
- 1 large carrot (about 250g, unprepared weight)
- ½ cucumber (about 200g)
- 1 small red onion (about 60g unprepared weight)
- 4 tablespoons sunflower & pumpkin seeds
- 60g sultanas/ raisins etc
- 150 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 25 ml tahini
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 3g salt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 10 ml white wine vinegar
- Put the quinoa on to cook - rinse well first in a fine sieve, and use double the volume of water (or prepare earlier, and refrigerate). Once cooked, place in a large wide bowl to cool and refrigerate until needed.
- Wash, de-stem and finely chop the kale, place in a large bowl
- Add the 2 tsp tahini and 2T orange juice and massage really well for 5 minutes until it has reduced in size and is softened.
- Coarsely grate the carrot, finely dice the cucumber and onion and add to the bowl with the cooked quinoa.
- Toast the seeds in a small pan over a medium heat until crisp and golden.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients - whisk in a jug or use a blender.
- Pour most of the dressing over the salad and mix well. Allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving with extra dressing if liked, plus the seeds and dried fruit on top.