I don’t know why but for years we called this plain old “Savoury Rice”. No idea where we got that from but it’s not very descriptive so I’ve added “Chinese” so you get the idea. This is a forgiving recipe in that it can be adapted to whatever veggies you have in the fridge so it’s always a bit different every time you make it. It’s quite incredible how many veggies you can pack into this. It used to be a great way of getting them into my kids when they were small and suspicious of new ones as they’re all chopped up quite fine so you don’t really know what they are. 🙂
Do add some toasted nuts if you have them, they add a lovely crunch. Other additions which work are some cubed tofu – marinated preferably; or some toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Tip: To cut down on the chopping time, if you’re planning on making this during week, dice some of the required vegetable every time you use it, and pop it in to a box in the fridge. By the end of the week all your veggies will be ready.
- 800g cooked brown rice. It works much better if you cook rice much earlier or even the day before and refrigerate so it's cold and dry before you begin.
- Vegetables you use are completely up to you, you need about 1kg - 1.2kg prepared weight (i.e. diced small) for 4 people. It's really a good idea to include the onions, of any variety. Last time we used:
- Broccolini - 100g
- Carrot - 100g
- Green beans - 100g
- Cauliflower - 100g
- Red capsicum - 150g
- Zucchini - 150g
- Celery - 100g
- Mushrooms - 100g
- Spring onions - 100g
- Sweetcorn - 100g
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated / chopped fresh garlic
- 40g toasted nuts - cashews / peanuts etc - optional
- Peas - 100g
- Sauce - mix together in a small jug:
- 40 ml reduced salt soy sauce
- 40 ml sweet chilli sauce
- 10 ml chopped chillies
- 20 ml unhulled (the dark one) tahini - has a roasted sesame flavour
- 60 ml hot water
- It's best to cook in 2 batches to not overcrowd the wok. That works out well also if you want to add more chilli or garlic etc for the adult portions.
- Heat a large wok, spray very lightly with oil or a dash of stock.
- When it's hot add your vegetables (half of them if you're doing this quantity)
- Stir around, place on the lid if you have one and steam the veg.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir well and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Once your harder vegetables like carrots are tender add your rice, mix thoroughly, pour over half of the sauce / extra chilli etc if required. Heat through thoroughly then serve, garnished with coriander if liked and your toasted nuts if using.