This has been a long work in progress. Our family loves Mexican food and we usually make burritos or tacos but I have been looking for a dryer taco “meat” which doesn’t make them soggy. After trying lots of variations I’ve come up with a winner! Topped with avocado, salsa and spring onions, these tacos are delicious!
Lentil, Mushroom, Walnut, Quinoa & Black Bean Taco filling
Recipe type: Main
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon each of coriander, cumin, smoked paprika and dried oregano
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1 can lentils or 1.5 cups home cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 packet cooked red quinoa, or 1.5 cups of home made
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup frozen sweetcorn - defrosted
- Salt & pepper
- Fry off the onion, spices then add all other ingredients.
- Add a splash of water and keep stirring from time to time until it dries out a little - should be fairly dry
- Toast corn tortillas in hot pan with lid so they steam and crispen.
- Spoon 2-3 dessertspoons in each taco and top with your favourite toppings - fresh salsa and diced avocado, hot sauce, coriander and lime juice!