This has been a long work in progress. Our family loves Mexican food and we usually make burritos or tacos but I have been looking for a dryer taco “meat” which doesn’t make them soggy. After trying lots of variations I’ve come up with a winner! Topped with avocado, salsa and spring onions, these tacos are delicious!
Lentil, Mushroom, Walnut, Quinoa & Black Bean Taco filling
Recipe type: Main
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon each of coriander, cumin, smoked paprika and dried oregano
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1 can lentils or 1.5 cups home cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 packet cooked red quinoa, or 1.5 cups of home made
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup frozen sweetcorn - defrosted
- Salt & pepper
- Fry off the onion, spices then add all other ingredients.
- Add a splash of water and keep stirring from time to time until it dries out a little - should be fairly dry
- Toast corn tortillas in hot pan with lid so they steam and crispen.
- Spoon 2-3 dessertspoons in each taco and top with your favourite toppings - fresh salsa and diced avocado, hot sauce, coriander and lime juice!
I’ve always loved this spicy Indonesian rice dish but until now I just couldn’t seem to infuse the flavours into the rice without using oil. Finally I seem to have found a solution! Hope you love this as much as my family did.
Mushroom Nasi Goreng
Recipe type: Main
- 4 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- - SAUCE:
- 3 cloves garlic, micro-planed / finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon and or lime juice
- 2cm piece ginger, finely chopped - a heaped tablespoon
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chopped chillies - from a jar (add more if you like it really spicy!)
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ green cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 400g grams diced mushrooms - about 3-4 cups
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen / canned sweetcorn
- To serve:
- Toasted peanuts
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Limes - quartered
- Put on your rice to cook if not already available. (This may delay your serving time).
- Finely chop, crush or microplane the garlic, place in a small bowl and pour over the lemon and or lime juice and stir. Soak the garlic in the lemon juice for 5 mins.
- Add all other sauce ingredients then mix well and allow to sit whilst you prep the vegetables.
- Sauté the onion, cabbage, mushrooms and carrots in a large deep frying pan with a lid. Once softened - about 5-7 mins - add the paste, stir thoroughly and keep stirring for a few minutes to , thoroughly distributing the sauce through the veg.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well, then add a cup of water and the sweetcorn. Stir well and allow to heat through.
- Put on the lid, turn the heat down to low and cook for a further 5-7 mins until the carrots are tender and the sauce is absorbed into the rice.
- Turn off the heat and allow to sit whilst you get ready to serve.
- Serve each bowl with a quarter of lime, and scatter with coriander, peanuts and hot sauce.