I’ve always loved this spicy Indonesian rice dish but until now I just couldn’t seem to infuse the flavours into the rice without using oil. Finally I seem to have found a solution! Hope you love this as much as my family did.
Mushroom Nasi Goreng
Brown rice scented with garlic, ginger, citrus and chilli with plenty of mushrooms and finely shredded cabbage.
Recipe type: Main
- 4 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- - SAUCE:
- 3 cloves garlic, micro-planed / finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon and or lime juice
- 2cm piece ginger, finely chopped - a heaped tablespoon
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chopped chillies - from a jar (add more if you like it really spicy!)
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ green cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 400g grams diced mushrooms - about 3-4 cups
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen / canned sweetcorn
- To serve:
- Toasted peanuts
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Limes - quartered
- Put on your rice to cook if not already available. (This may delay your serving time).
- Finely chop, crush or microplane the garlic, place in a small bowl and pour over the lemon and or lime juice and stir. Soak the garlic in the lemon juice for 5 mins.
- Add all other sauce ingredients then mix well and allow to sit whilst you prep the vegetables.
- Sauté the onion, cabbage, mushrooms and carrots in a large deep frying pan with a lid. Once softened - about 5-7 mins - add the paste, stir thoroughly and keep stirring for a few minutes to , thoroughly distributing the sauce through the veg.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well, then add a cup of water and the sweetcorn. Stir well and allow to heat through.
- Put on the lid, turn the heat down to low and cook for a further 5-7 mins until the carrots are tender and the sauce is absorbed into the rice.
- Turn off the heat and allow to sit whilst you get ready to serve.
- Serve each bowl with a quarter of lime, and scatter with coriander, peanuts and hot sauce.