White Bean & Olive Spread
Lebanese inspired spread for toast
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: 6 slices
- 1 can butter beans or cannellini beans
- Juice and zest of 1 juicy lemon - about 4 tablespoons
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2-4 tablespoons finely chopped red or spring onion (as preferred)
- 6 black or green olives, chopped
- 1 tsp capers, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp tahini (optional)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup finely chopped mint
- pinch of chilli flakes or semi-dried chopped chililes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Zest the lemon and tip into a medium bowl
- Juice the lemon into a small bowl and tip the crushed / Microplaned garlic into it to steep.
- Mash the beans with a fork in a bowl, or pulse in a food processor until broken down but not a smooth paste.
- Prepare the herbs, olives, onion & capers and add to the bowl with the lemon zest.
- Add the beans and stir thoroughly, add the tahini, chilli and salt and pepper as desired.
- Stir in the lemon juice and garlic mixture. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes as flavour will continue to develop. The garlic flavour will be stronger the next day if it lasts that long! 🙂
- Serve on hot toast with sliced baby tomatoes.
- NB: You can use all or one of the herbs, equally delicious with any combination of fresh herbs.