Tender vegetables simmered in a creamy sauce. Perfect for an Autumnal dinner served with mash & more veggies.
Chunky Vegetable Mornay
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 large green capsicum / bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced small
- 1 large stick celery, diced small
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 cup soy / other plant milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons creamy style hummus
- 1 tsp chicken style stock powder
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed til smooth with a splash of soy milk
- Salute the 1st 4 ingredients (leek to celery) in a large frying pan (skillet or casserole dish with a close fitting lid) until tender, adding a splash of water if necessary to stop sticking.
- Add the remaining ingredients apart from broccoli & cornflour mix and stir well, replace the lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and replace lid, allow to steam until broccoli is almost done. Add the cornflour mix, and stir slowly until thickened and flour is cooked out. Turn off the heat, replace lid and allow to sit whilst you prepare the plates & accompaniments.
- Best served with mashed potatoes, or a cooked grain. May also go well with wholewheat pasta.