This was inspired by Fatfreevegan’s recipe for Dal Tadka, I wanted to include more veggies and tweaked the method and spices a little.
Cauliflower & Kale Dhal (pressure cooker)
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced, grated for finely chopped
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 3 cups water,
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder (optional)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 cups small cauliflower florets
- ½ bunch kale, de-stemmed & finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder / to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala / dhal spice mix / curry powder
- Put rice on to cook if you are serving with rice.
- Heat the pressure cooker on brown function, add one of the onions, all the ginger and garlic and stir around for a minute, add a splash of water or stock if starts to stick.
- Add the lentils, water, stock powder if using, tomato, cauliflower, kale, cumin seeds, turmeric & salt and stir thoroughly.
- Lock down the lid and set to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the dhal is cooking, heat a large frying pan and dry fry the onion with remaining spices for 5-10 minutes, over a medium heat. Use a lid to catch the steam and prevent them from sticking.
- Once the dhal is finished, release the steam and add the cooked onions and spices; stir well and serve.
- Great with mango chutney, freshly chopped coriander and a sprinkle of coconut if you wish.