Thai Pumpkin Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 medium Japanese or butternut squash, peeled and cut into large pieces.
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste - or to taste (1 is mild, 2 is hot!)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ½ cup split red lentils
- 1 cup soy milk, mixed with 1 tsp coconut essence
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- freshly chopped coriander, yogurt to serve - optional
- Saute the pumpkin / squash and carrot with a splash of stock or water in a large heavy bottomed saucepan or casserole until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the curry paste, stir in thoroughly then quickly add the stock and lentils.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the red lentils have broken down, around 20 minutes.
- Stir in the soy and coconut mixture, lime juice and heat through gently. Adjust seasoning, and serve, topped with coriander and / or yogurt if liked.