All the taste of a nori roll without the rolling! Crunchy veg, marinated tofu, edamame beans and avocado, mixed with strips of nori, sesame seeds, dressed with a sushi seasoning and soy sauce. If you love sushi you’ll love this.
Sushi Brown Rice Salad
Recipe type: Salad
- 250 grams brown rice
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 large cucumber, deseeded, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup blanched, podded edamame beans
- 200g marinated Japanese flavour tofu, cut into small dice
- nori seaweed sheets, cut into small squares or strips
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- sushi seasoning - vinegar, sugar, mirin blend (I use Obento brand, from the supermarket, or Asian supermarkets would stock a range)
- soy sauce or tamari
- radish - optional, finely diced
- pickled ginger, wasabi, soy sauce - to serve as required
- Whilst your rice is cooking, finely dice all the crunchy vegetables (and add whatever others you like) and put set aside. Blanch and pod your edamame beans, and dice the avocado. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry non stick pan, until golden brown.
- Once your rice is cooked, tip in to a large bowl and sprinkle generously with the sushi seasoning mix, stirring well to thoroughly incorporate. Taste and add more as required. I used about 8 tablespoons. Add tamari or soy sauce to taste. Once the rice is at room temperature, stir in as much of the vegetable mix as you like, portion out into your serving bowls and decorate the tops with the nori, avocado, edamame beans and sesame. Allow it to cool slightly
- Serve alongside pickled ginger, wasabi and extra tamari / soy sauce as desired.