Google “Buddha Bowl” and you will be inundated with versions of this. Basically it’s a bowl of steamed veggies with brown rice or another grain like quinoa, with a sauce over the top.
I’ve already posted my son’s favourite dish, well this is my teenage daughter’s! It’s the sauce that makes it of course, and this is such an easy weeknight dish you will be tempted to have it several times, just changing the veggies or grains, and adding tofu or tempeh etc.
- Sauce ingredients:
- 1 T cashew butter
- 1 T tahini,
- 2 T vegetarian oyster sauce or other Asian stir fry sauce
- 1 T sweet chilli sauce
- 3 T lemon and/or lime juice - either or both, mixed together (orange is also good!)
- 2 T tamari
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 T sweet soy sauce
- Put your rice on to cook, or even easier, use packets of ready cooked brown rice which just need warming through! (you can put itin the steamer along with the veggies if you like)
- Whilst your rice is cooking, prepare and steam your desired vegetables – broccoli, carrot, capsicum, celery, mushrooms, baby corn etc, and top with a packet of ready marinated and cooked tofu cubes to heat through (if desired - this is optional) – sweet chilli / garlic variety.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients in a blender (we use the Magic Bullet for this) or a jug with an immersion/stick blender until very smooth and creamy. Taste the sauce and adjust a little if necessary - different people like it more salty / more sour / more sweet etc. Pour it into a saucepan and heat gently for a few minutes when your rice and veggies are almost ready.
- Divide the rice, veggies and tofu between your bowls and pour the sauce over the top. Also nice scattered with fresh chopped coriander / toasted sesame seeds / etc.